Pages

Thursday 18 July 2013

Traditional Confinement After Birth

I was discharged from the hospital on the 4th day and I checked straight into the confinement home. Yes, confinement home is a popular thing in Penang late years. When i knew about such facility, my first thought for my own confinement is to stay at home, with a confinement lady. To be near to my family and in my own comfort home. This is the real traditional way.

Things changed. When i got pregnant, this is one of the "must settle item" and you need to decide fast. This is due to good confinement lady (CL) is hard to be hired and the fact my baby born in dragon year, confinement home (CH) may not be available too.

Considering many factors, finally we decided to settle at CH instead of hiring CL. Not towards my liking.

Heard horror stories about CL.
  • The new generation of CL only take care of mum & baby. What about hubby?
  • Cleaning. CL will not perform house keeping. What happen to my kitchen when she cooks? We have a small place and our kitchen is attached to the living hall. Who's going to clean for me after each cooking?
  • Marketing. The thoughts of troubling hub & mil, shopping list etc kills me. Knowing i will end up frustrated and angry
  • Rest. You still need to help around especially when CL is cooking or washing.
  • CL itself! If you are unlucky, you may get a lazy, non-pro BF and a tv addict CL
  • Cost.  Not cheaper than CH
Nett of it, i wanted to be stressed free as i can foresee escalating pressure at home with a sudden change.

No Regret! I Love Confinement Homes. Given a choice again, i will make similar decision.

I stayed in De Garden Confinement Home, located 10 min aways from my home. It's a bungalow house located at this prime area - Island Glades Penang.

I found myself settling in after a day or two. I was extremely exhausted when i was discharged from the hospital. I not have been sleeping straight in the hospital due to breast feeding.

Why i will make similar decision again!

Breast Feeding Support
I have no alternative thoughts except for breast feeding my baby. My milk flow is not there and I'm super stressed with addition pressure from the nannies to feed formula! Behind me - they said my baby was fasting - 'puasa'. Breast feeding is really tough. The first night, i met a new mummy friend - Evelyn. She looks more like the lady boss than a mummy who has just gave birth. Gorgeous mum. It was nanny Baby who asked me to speak to Evelyn. Advising me to feed my baby with formula milk while I continue to establish my milk flow. They were right!

Evelyn advise was : you need to have a balance of   Eat, Drink, Rest & Stress Free so that your milk flow will come easily and successfully. Her immediate advise was sleep well tonight, let nanny feed some formula to your baby. Don't worry about those saying your baby will not direct latch once you introduce bottle to them. Based on her experience, mother of 2, it's not true. By the way, she's a nutritionist & she produces the most milk among mummies at this home.  That night, i had the most heavenly sleep - straight 4 hours!!

I was lucky. This group of mummies that i met super pro breast feeding. Especially both my room mates, they shared, encouraged, supported me during that desperate time. They will set alarm, pump middle of the night or every 3-4 hours without fail!  I was so encouraged!

There's nothing else you can do in a confinement home. Eat. Drink. Sleep. Pump Milk. 4 main duties!
4th day - stressed with the flow

Friends
It's all about babies & mummies talk! I am blessed to meet a group of nice mummies. We still keep contact until now.
Love both my room mates! Easy going, accommodating & friendly people. 3 of us had boys. And our room just next to the nursery room. We get the privileged to hear baby gossips! And mummies having fun guessing who is singing!

Left to Right : 3B mummy, 3C mummy, 3A mummy - me


Gorgeous mummies (2nd gathering)


Food
Wow!  Really felt at home. Food was heaven and that's how i increased my appetite until now. Just managed to snap a few photos as memories. The cook really put in effort in cooking for mummies, came in big portion. Meals scheduled on 8am, 11am, 1pm, 5pm, 8pm. Your stomach wont get a chance to rest.

Breakfast & tea break

Lunch or dinner, Soup + Veg + Meat

Nannies/Helper
Nannies in this home were all experienced Chinese ladies who have been doing this job for years. We can communicate easily and they are friendly people who never fail to keep you entertained. That's important to mummies! They are willing to share the know-how. That was how i observed and went thru a crash course handling new born in the ABC way. No trial & error. All you need to do is to ASK and LEARN from them humbly. The ratio ; 1 nanny : 3 babies. One thing i really love about this place was i get to be in the nursery anytime i want, to be near to my baby and to be able to observe how he was handled.


Top Confinement Homes in Penang (as of Aug 2012)
Some of the criteria in considering a confinement home
  1. Experience of the nannies. Local or Foreigner.
  2. Environment for baby. What is the nanny baby ratio. How is the nursery set-up, cleanliness, accessibility.    (Note : You do not want to be at a home where you have no idea how they handle your baby. Not by hear say. You need to visual the process)
  3. Food
  4. Environment for mama
  5. Within your budget

1 comment:

  1. Awesome things you've generally imparted to us. Simply continue written work this sort of posts.The time which was squandered in going for educational cost now it can be utilized for studies.Thanks confinement centre in KL

    ReplyDelete