Pages

Sunday 10 November 2013

Baby Food : Chinese Spinach Porridge (Bayam)

I tried introducing greens to my boy. He choked initially when i steamed & mashed into the porridge. I also realized the greens will turn yellow green due to overcooked. Well, nutrients gone lor....

After reading few recipes, finally i decided to do it this way. I bought organic green bayam or red/green bayam from Jusco most of the time. Hardly bought from wet market in fear of the pesticide. These bayan sold normally comes in small packet, cost between RM 3-5 and they are very young. Can be split between 4-6 meals.

Preparation:
1. Wash clean the greens.
2. Blanch the greens in boiling water for 3 min. Do not overcook.
3. Remove from hot water and soak it in cold water for 1 min to stop the cooking process.
4. Blend them in a blender.
5. Add a portion into your cooked porridge. (1-2 tbsp)
6. Cook it for 1 min. Serve.










Rest you can keep it chill for next feeding or freeze it to be used within 1 week time. 
To use a freeze puree, thaw it overnight in the chiller. Add it into your cooked porridge and boil it for 2 minutes. Serve.

My boy loves this bayam porridge especially when I add it into my baby porridge. The combination of ikan bilis & bayam just perfect! Look at the amount of greens my little boy was eating at his age... i'm a happy mum. :)



For this method, you can apply on greens like green beans, sweet pea & asparagus.
However, instead of blanch, you can steam.

This method not applicable for broccoli or cauliflower. 
My first attempt did not turn out so well. I blanched broccoli/cauli and blend it fine. Even the texture is fine, it's still hard and rough. Baby will not enjoy such texture.

Therefore, the best way to cook porridge with broccoli/cauliflower is to add in the veg 20 minutes after boiling the rice and continue to cook for another 20 min.

No comments:

Post a Comment